Running a modern application on an old Windows 98 system has been done recently by a developer who has ported the smash hit ChatGPT chatbot to the Java platform, allowing it to run on almost any version of Windows. He calls the app JavaGPT and has made the source code available on GitHub.
ChatGPT is a chatbot developed on the basis of OpenAI and Microsoft’s artificial intelligence technology that allows users to have natural and interesting conversations with each other. JavaGPT is an application based on the Java 8 version that allows users to access ChatGPT and all its features through a user-friendly graphical interface. According to developer “FrankCYB”, JavaGPT has the following features:
- Chat history: allows users to interact with previous chats as if they were on the website
- Retracted chats: allows users to withdraw previous questions and replies
- HTML viewer: allows users to view chat content in HTML format with Markdown syntax support
- Chat title: automatically generates a title based on the chat content, or can be changed manually
- Import of pre-defined questions
- Save chat to file
- Dark mode and right-click copy-edit-paste functionality
- Support for ChatGPT 4 and all ChatGPT 3.5 models
- Only 6MB file size
As JavaGPT is an open-source project, anyone can download and view its code. It is important to note, however, that since this application is based on Java 8, systems older than Windows 98, including Windows 95, are currently unable to use JavaGPT.