TSMC reported fourth-quarter earnings of NT$625.53 billion (currently approximately RMB 138.868 billion) in revenue, NT$295.9 billion (currently approximately RMB 65.69 billion) in net income, and NT$11.41 in diluted earnings per share.
Compared to the same period last year, fourth-quarter revenue increased 42.8% year-over-year, while net income and diluted earnings per share both increased 78.0%. Compared to the third quarter of 2022, fourth-quarter revenue increased 2.0 percent sequentially and net income increased 5.4 percent.
On a U.S. dollar basis, fourth-quarter revenue was $19.93 billion (currently approximately RMB134.926 billion), up 26.7 percent year-over-year but down 1.5 percent sequentially. The gross margin for the fourth quarter was 62.2 percent, the operating margin was 52.0 percent and net margin was 47.3 percent.
TSMC said 5nm shipments accounted for 32% of total wafer revenue in the fourth quarter, and 7nm accounted for 22%. Taken together, 7nm and more advanced technologies accounted for 54% of total wafer revenue.
TSMC’s operating income from January to December 2022 will be NT$2,263.89 billion (currently approximately RMB 502.584 billion), a year-on-year increase of 42.6%.
TSMC expects first-quarter sales of US$16.7 billion to US$17.5 billion, which is currently about 113.059 billion to 118.475 billion yuan.
According to a previous report by the Taiwan Economic Daily, the supply chain is rumored that TSMC is driven by the three major driving forces of advanced process expansion in Taiwan, investment in R&D, US and Japan expansion, and mature process upgrades due to the growing needs of the next three years. Expenditure is expected to approach 40 billion U.S. dollars (currently about 276.8 billion yuan), a new high.