According to the latest report released by the market research organization Counterpoint Research, 28% of smartphone users will choose to buy a foldable smartphone when changing phones.
Source: Counterpoint Research
The report pointed out that the user base of foldable mobile phones in 2022 will be 4.7 million.
- 28% of current U.S. smartphone owners said they would choose to buy a foldable phone when switching phones.
- Samsung is the brand that American consumers are most inclined to buy, accounting for 46%. Apple has yet to launch a foldable phone, but 39% of respondents said they are willing to wait. Motorola accounted for 6%.
- Samsung has the highest stickiness when it comes to folding screen preferences, with 92% of Samsung users planning to stick with the same brand when purchasing a folding screen smartphone.
- 49% of the respondents said they like clamshell folding screens, followed by book-style folding screens.
- Over half of the male respondents prefer clamshell foldables, while female respondents have a slightly lower preference for clamshell foldables at 47%.
- Female respondents (40%) prefer book-type folding screens to male respondents (30%).
- Respondents from higher income brackets are more likely to purchase foldable phones. Respondents with a monthly income of $10,000 and above were the most likely (41%) to purchase a foldable phone.