Microsoft today released two Windows 11 preview version updates (KB5020040) in the Beta channel for beta testers, with 22621.891 turning off feature updates by default and 22623.891 turning on feature updates by default.
New features in 22623.891
Task Manager improvements
Due to strong user demand, Microsoft has now introduced a filter/search feature to Task Manager, which allows you to search/filter by process name, PID or publisher name in the search bar.
It is worth mentioning that the previous search criteria will also be applied by default when you switch pages. In addition, you can use the keyboard shortcut ALT + F to jump the cursor directly to the search box.
This is a useful feature if you want to pick out a process or a group of processes and want to take action or just monitor the performance of the filtered processes. This is a useful new feature if you want to pick out a process or a group of processes.
A new search box at the top of Task Manager allows you to filter for binary names, PIDs, or publisher names.
Better theme support.
Microsoft has added theming capabilities to Task Manager, regardless of what theme Windows is. You can personalize it from the settings page of Task Manager.
No matter what Windows theme you choose, you can set a preferred theme specifically for Task Manager.
In addition, Task Manager now has a theme that also overrides the style of the in-app dialogs. All dialogs except the Run New Task and Properties dialogs now support the new theme feature and can be set with a specific theme or override the Windows theme.
In-application dialogs (such as selecting columns on the details page) will be displayed in the selected theme of Task Manager.
Improved efficiency mode dialogs.
You can select “Don’t ask me anymore” in the confirmation dialog for Efficiency Mode, and of course, you can enable/disable the Task Manager settings.
Now you can choose not to see future confirmation dialogs when you turn on Efficiency Mode.
In addition to this, you can also back up your settings to your Microsoft account and of course sync these settings options in any Windows device and Microsoft Office.
The following updates are officially available from Microsoft, temporarily machine flipped.
“Changes and improvements in 22623.891
- Improvements to emoji search in Japanese and Simplified Chinese, you can correctly handle kana/kanji and pinyin in the emoji panel.
[Taskbar and System Tray]
- The taskbar should no longer be stuck in an expanded state (instead of closed to collapsed state) when using the lower right edge gesture to view quick settings.
- Fixed an issue that caused the Do Not Disturb icon to disappear in Do Not Disturb mode.
- The animation of the new Show Hidden Icons float control should now be consistent with other taskbar float controls.
- If “Show accent colors on Start and Taskbar” is enabled in Settings > Personalization > Colors “, the background color of the Show hidden icons floating control should now be aligned with your accent color.
- Fixed multiple explorer.exe crashes that affected taskbar performance.
- Fixed an issue affecting File Explorer. It failed to localize folders.
- Fixed an issue affecting the CopyFile feature. It may sometimes return error 317: ERROR_MR_MID_NOT_FOUND.
- Fixed an issue affecting process creation. It failed to create a security audit for it and other related audit events.
- Fixed an issue affecting Microsoft Edge landscape mode printing. The printouts were incorrect. This issue occurred when using Microsoft Defender application protection.
- Fixed an issue affecting Microsoft Defender when Microsoft Defender is not the primary anti-virus software. Microsoft Defender cannot turn off Passive Mode. This issue occurs when you turn off Smart App Control (SAC).
- Added .wcx to the list of dangerous extensions that are not allowed by some application control policies.
- Fixed an issue that affected computer accounts. Using non-standard characters could prevent the cleanup of out-of-the-box experience (OOBE) accounts.
- Fixed an issue affecting Windows Firewall services. When you turn on the Override Blocking Rules option, it does not start.
- Fixed an issue that could affect applications running on Windows Lockdown Policy (WLDP). They may have stopped working.
- We are investigating reports that audio stopped working for some Insiders in the most recent Beta Channel release.
[Taskbar and System Tray]
- The taskbar sometimes flickers when switching between desktop pose and tablet pose.
- The taskbar takes longer than expected to transition to the touch-optimized version when switching between desktop pose and tablet pose.
- [New] Filtering by publisher name does not match correctly on the “Processes” page.
- [New] Some services may not show up in the Services page after applying filters.
- [New] If a new process is started while setting a filter, it may appear in the filter list for a moment.
- [New] Delete key and tooltip do not work on the filter input box.
- [New] Some dialogs may not render with the correct theme when applying from the Task Manager Settings page.
- [New] The data content area of the process page may blink once when applying a theme change from the Task Manager settings page.
- [New] We are investigating an issue where Task Manager does not display light and dark content correctly, resulting in unreadable text. This happens when you set the mode in Settings > Personalization > Colors to Custom. This happens – as a temporary solution, switch it to “Light” or “Dark”.